A government sparing no effort to round up human rights activists but lacks enthusiasm in saving kidnapped children sold as beggars will certainly be discarded by people when people take actions on their own. Selfish officials, it is time for you to reform!
SCMP says in its report titled “Anti-abduction effort faulted”: “The Ministry of Public Security has poured cold water on a popular online campaign to save abducted children.
“Academics and celebrities launched the campaign at the beginning of last year. They called on people to take photographs of child beggars they suspect may have been kidnapped, post them online and send them to as many people as possible.
“Those behind the campaign say it will provide clues to parents who have had their children kidnapped and increase the chances of children being rescued.
“However, the ministry’s social security administration department said on its microblog on Tuesday that virtually none of the photos of children taken by passers-by and posted online are of kidnapped children.
“It was responding to an incident in Beijing this month in which someone put a picture of a girl and a woman on the internet and said the girl may have been kidnapped because she spoke a different dialect to the woman. The poster said he had reported the case to the police and was seeking help from other internet users for the girl.
“The ministry said its investigation had found that the woman was the girl’s aunt.
“‘A storm of love from the public is touching. But this movement’s organisers should be wary,’ the ministry said. ‘They can’t let people’s love be taken advantage of or let the innocent be scarred mentally.
“‘Society needs love, but also respect.’”
True society needs love, but is there love from the government? No. If the government wants to rescue children from the misery of begging in the street, it shall not allow adults to use their children in their begging not even their parents let alone their aunts.
If the child beggars are old enough for schooling, the government shall provide shelter, food and education for them. If not, they still shall be provided with shelter and food and be taken care of in order to prevent them from receiving pre-school begging education. The government has the obligations to do something to save the children instead of pouring cold water on the campaigners.
SCMP says, “Professor Yu Jianrong, a rural development expert at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, told China Business News television last year that he launched the campaign by posting a letter from a mother seeking help to find her lost child on his microblog and unexpectedly received a flood of clues from his followers. ‘I came to realise the enormous power of internet users,’ he said. ‘Therefore, I launched this activity to fight against child traffickers.’
“In just a few days, 400,000 internet users said they supported the campaign and thousands of pictures were uploaded, so many, in fact, that Yu had to get volunteers to process posts and liaise with police and the media.
“However, legal experts criticised the movement for infringeing on the rights of children and accompanying adults by posting the photos in a public forum.
“Yu said campaign organisers were aware of the issue and that once children were rescued, their photos would be removed from the internet. ‘At the moment, the best way [to help such children] is that whenever people encounter a begging child, take pictures and upload them online,’ he said.
“Yu could not be reached for comment yesterday, but on his microblog he said the campaign was about raising awareness of begging rather than kidnapping. On the mainland, many child beggars have been kidnapped or rented out by their families. Some are crippled to attract more sympathy.
“Hunan lawyer Gan Yuanchun, one of the campaign’s initiators, said he did not agree with the ministry.
“‘Among the children whose pictures were taken, some are absolutely kidnapped,’ he said. ‘Our campaign has played a role in pushing the security authorities to establish a nationwide children-searching platform last year and pushing the central government to issue a circular requiring local governments to strengthen the crackdown against begging by children.’
“Professor Yu Hai, a sociologist from Fudan University, said the ministry’s comment showed its anger at having been shown up by the campaign.
“‘It’s because the campaign revealed that the security authorities haven’t done their job well,’ he said. ‘The authorities ought to join hands with the campaign but, instead, are unco-operative.’”
SCMP reports: “Civilian maritime authority says 11 bases will be home to UAVs with high-definition cameras
“The civilian maritime authority has announced plans to set up a series of bases, from which it will conduct drone-surveillance flights along the Pacific coast of China.
“The State Oceanic Administration (SOA) would establish 11 sites in coastal provinces to store and launch unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), with at least one drone located at each facility, said SOA division chief Yu Qingsong, according to Xinhua.”
“While details about the scale and schedule of the project were unclear, an SOA newspaper, China Ocean News, said on Monday that the drones would use high-definition cameras to monitor illegal land reclamation, sand dredging and other changes in the maritime environment.”
SCMP’s Teddy Ng reports from Beijing: “Police accuse suspect of ripping Japanese flag from ambassador’s vehicle in Beijing, as sides seek to ease tensions over territorial dispute
“A man suspected of ripping a Japanese flag from a car carrying Japanese ambassador Uichiro Niwa was arrested by Beijing police yesterday, as both countries sought to ease tensions over the disputed Diaoyu Islands, known as the Senkakus in Japan.
“The arrest came as Japan’s senior vice-minister of foreign affairs, Tsuyoshi Yamaguchi, was in Beijing to arrange meetings with his Chinese counterparts.
“The Public Security Bureau in Beijing informally confirmed the arrest and detention of the suspect in a private message to Japanese embassy staff, the Asahi Shimbun reported yesterday, citing diplomatic sources.
“The report said Monday’s incident remained under investigation.
“A spokesman for the embassy said it had not received any formal notification about the arrest from Beijing authorities.”
SCMP reports: “A top Communist Party official in Dandong, Liaoning, fled the mainland four months ago to escape investigation, a local party official confirmed yesterday amid rumours he is now in the United States with 200 million yuan ($31.4 million) in ill-gotten gains.
“Wang Guoqiang, the former party head of Fengcheng, a county-level city in Dandong, had left the country in April without authorisation, the state-run people.com.cn news portal reported yesterday, quoting an official from Dandong’s party organisation department.”
“A report released last year by the People’s Bank of China’s anti-money-laundering monitoring and analysis centre said that as many as 18,000 corrupt mainland officials may have fled abroad with as much as 800 billion yuan ($125.6 billion) in less than two decades.
“Professor Cai Lihui, a political analyst at Guangzhou’s SunYat-sen University, said Wang’s case showed the authorities’ measures against official corruption were ineffective.
“‘The cadres know very well how to escape and transfer money,’ Cai said.”
SCMP reports: “Five editors with the Nanjing-based Oriental Guardian have been suspended over the paper’s critical coverage last week of the Liu Xiang injury cover-up, a rights group and local media sources said.
“Editor-in-chief Chen Chaohui, deputy editor Yu Jiechen and three other editors were temporarily removed from their posts, but their final punishment is still unclear, the Hong Kong-based Information Centre of Human Rights and Democracy said yesterday.”
SCMP reports: “Provocative moves by Hong Kong protesters strained ties between Beijing and Tokyo, says People’s Daily’s partner news website in Japan
“The head of People’s Daily’s Japan-based partner news website says the actions of the Hong Kong activists who landed on the disputed Diaoyu Islands have ‘harmed’ China by fuelling Sino-Japanese tensions.
“Han Xiaoqing, bureau chief for the Ri Zhong Xin Wen online paper, revealed this stance in an article titled ‘Hong Kong Diaoyu activists landed in the Diaoyus – Are they patriotic or harming the country?’
“The article, published on the website last week, was posted yesterday on the online version of Global Times (a state-run newspaper) before the post was blocked later in the day.”
“Han wrote that Beijing’s most urgent strategic goal was to build economic strength rather than to seize control of the Diaoyus, which are known as the Senkaku Islands in Japan.”
“‘These so-called Diaoyu protectors from Hong Kong, Taiwan and the mainland have time and again been arrested and detained on the islands … [This] sends a signal that is very unfavourable to China: Japan is effectively controlling the Diaoyus,’ she said.”
“Global Times initially said Han was People’s Daily’s Japan bureau chief, but it clarified last night that she was in charge of the partner publication.”
SCMP’s Chief Asia correspondent Greg Torode reports: “The mounting strategic complexities across China’s maritime backyard are swinging into sharp relief this week, as Russian shipbuilders launch Vietnam’s first state-of-the-art Kilo submarine and US naval officials confirm talks with Indonesia over training its submariners.
“Sea-trials of the Vietnamese submarine – the first of six to be delivered over the next five years in a deal believed to be worth more than US$3.2 billion – are due to start this week off St Petersburg’s Admiralty Shipyard ahead of a delivery to new facilities in Cam Ranh Bay within six months, Russian defence officials say.
“It will complete a chain started in the late 1980s when Hanoi began preparing to acquire a Russian submarine – only for Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev to kill the deal to avoid annoying Beijing.
“This time, however, Carl Thayer, an Australia-based scholar on Vietnam’s military, said the Russians were selling Vietnam their crack Project 636 vessels – submarines so stealthy that they have been dubbed ‘black holes’ by the United States Navy.
“Not only will they be able to track foreign naval and paramilitary ships around the Vietnamese coasts, ‘the Kilo submarines will provide a deterrent against the contingency that China might attempt to quickly seize an island or feature occupied by Vietnam in the South China Sea,’ Thayer wrote in a recent commentary.”
“The US Navy, meanwhile, has offered to train Indonesian submariners as part of a deepening defence relationship centred on some of the region’s most strategic submarine choke-points.”
According to SCMP’s Shi Jiangtao’s report from Beijing today entitled “Next step this week in Bo’s fall from grace”, “NPC Standing Committee may vote to remove fallen Chongqing party chief from legislature, a precursor to his expulsion from the party.
“Disgraced former Chongqing party chief Bo Xilai is expected to be stripped of his membership of the legislature this week, as Beijing scrambles to put an end to the country’s worst political scandal in decades ahead of a once-in-a-decade leadership reshuffle.
“A decision on Bo, a Politburo member, will likely be put to a vote at the end of a five-day session of the National People’s Congress Standing Committee that began yesterday and is held every two months, say analysts.”
On the contrary, Singtao Daily says today in its report entitled “Bo Xilai Expected to Remain an NPC Deputy for the Time Being”: “As the 28th session of the National People’s Congress (NPC) Standing Committee scheduled from yesterday to Friday has an item on its agenda to ‘review the NPC membership of individual deputies’, people on the outside speculate that former Chongqing Party boss who is now under investigation, may be deprived of his NPC membership. However, upon this paper’s enquiry yesterday, a Chongqing People’s Congress official said that for the time being no meeting of Chongqing Municipality’s people’s congress standing committee will be held and no relevant instruction has been received from the central authority.
“Bo Xilai is an NPC deputy ‘elected’ by Chongqing; therefore, the procedure of his removal shall begin from the standing committee of Chongqing Municipal People’s Congress. This paper called Chongqing People’s Congress yesterday and learnt from an official who did not disclose his name, that according to the arrangement, the next meeting of the standing committee of the municipality’s people’s congress (its 36th meeting) is scheduled at the end of September.
“The official said that if the meeting is to be held earlier or an additional meeting is to be held, a meeting of the chairmen of the committee shall be held to make a decision on that. However, as no meeting of the chairmen has so far been held, it can roughly be certain that there would not be an additional meeting.”
Due to lack of transparency, media have to rely on speculation so that we shall expect that they are unable to provide accurate information. However, Singtao’s report this time may be better as it has contacted Chongqing people’s congress.
In addition, Singtao says: “Boxun.com reports that last week, Luo Lin, former director of the State Administration of Work Safety who is close to Bo Xilai, was placed under “Shuanggui” investigation (i.e. being required to give explanation on issues involved in his case at designated time and place where ’at designated time and place’ often means under house arrest). According to the report, when Luo Lin was the director, he concealed for Chongqing and Liaoning when Bo was in charge there, quite a few accidents due to negligence such as serious coal production accidents and maritime distresses with death toll exceeding 10 each.”
SCMP’s Mimi Lau reports from Guangzhou: “Deputy police chief, who allegedly took protection money from clubs, is one of the most senior officials snared in Guangdong‘s anti-graft drive
“The deputy police chief in Guangzhou is under investigation for corruption, making him one of the most high-profile officials to be targeted under Guangdong party leader Wang Yang’s anti-graft campaign.
“He Jing, 55, who was also the police spokesman in Guangzhou, was arrested on August 10 for ‘severely breaching [Communist Party] discipline’, local media reported yesterday, citing a Guangzhou anti-graft watchdog.
“Several police sources yesterday said that He allegedly charged fees to nightclubs and shady businesses in downtown Guangzhou and rural Huadu district in exchange for his protection. Other reports said He was suspected of buying and selling senior police appointments.”
“He is the most senior Guangzhou police official netted in Wang’s anti-graft campaign, launched this year, against corrupt officials, counterfeit goods and illegal market practices.
“More than 1,000 party officials and civil servants have been arrested as a result of the campaign since February.”
SCMP says: “PLA claims it can launch nuclear missiles from anywhere on mainland, and calls the development an historic leap forward
“‘China‘s nuclear missiles can be launched quickly and accurately from anywhere on the mainland, a development described as being “far more mobile than imagined’.
“The People’s Liberation Army’s Second Artillery Corps said yesterday it had made a ‘strategic transformation’ in its weapons capability, and called it an historic leap forward.
“The news follows foreign reports last week that the corps had test-fired a new, road-mobile, third-generation intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) known as the Dongfeng-41 (DF-41) late last month. With an operational range of up to 14,000 kilometres and the ability to carry multiple nuclear warheads, it could reportedly threaten every American city.
“The PLA Daily said several brigades with the Second Artillery Corps had, this summer, successfully conducted numerous firing tests around deserts in the remote northwest, mountains and rivers in the northeast and jungles in southern areas.”