China Completes Deployment of Six 096 Nuclear Submarines with JL-3 SLBMsPosted: March 30, 2014
Type 096 Qin class nuclear submarine began to be formally commissioned in July 2008. It carries 24 JL-3 SLBMs with a range of 15,000 km and MIRVs.
JL-3 SLBM is the submarine version of DF-41 land-based ICBM. DF-41 can have 10 MIRVs but JL-3 seems to carry less MIRVs as the report says the 24 SLBMs can hit at lease 64 targets simultaneously. As a result, a 096’s fire power is equivalent to that of six 094 Jin class strategic SLBM submarines.
Moreover, installed with an anti-satellite device, a JL-3 can hit an enemy satellite.
A 096 submarine has a maximum displacement of 10,000 tons and is said to be rival to US Ohio class nuclear submarine characterized by low noise, high undetectability and maneuverability, great survival ability and long-range attack capability.
Recently, there has been media report that a 096 submarine launched a JL-3 SLBM from the Yellow Sea and successfully hit its target in Gobi Desert 8,000 kilometers away.
In an interview with an international media, a US military officer said that it was quite probable that China has completed its deployment of six 096 submarines to have the capability of nuclear strike covering Europe, Asia, Australia and North America. .
Source: huanqiu.com “China’s deployment of six 096 nuclear submarines armed with JL-3 SLBMs gives rise to great panic in Japan”
- China Successful Test of JL-3 nuclear SLBM Able to Hit Anywhere in the US dated February 19, 2014
- China Test Launches in a Row of New Types of ICBM and SLBM within 10 Days dated December 24, 2013
- China Conducts Second Flight Test of New DF-41 ICBM with 10 MIRVs dated December 19, 2013
- China: DF-41 ICBM with Range of 14,000 km, Able to Break Through US Anti-missile Network dated October 8, 2013
- SCMP: China’s Nuclear Arsenal Is Fully Mobile dated August 28, 2012