US Backs China Resuming Talks with Philippines Ignoring Hague RulingPosted: July 26, 2016
Reuters says in its report titled “U.S. says backs resumption of China-Philippines talks on South China Sea”, that Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi “told his U.S. counterpart that China and ASEAN had agreed the dispute should get back on to the ‘correct’ track of being resolved by direct talks with the parties concerned, according to a foreign ministry statement released on Tuesday” hinting that the arbitration is not the “correct” track and should be disregarded.
Reuters quote Wang as saying, China “hopes the United States side takes actual steps to support the resumption of talks between China and the Philippines, and supports the efforts of China and ASEAN to maintain regional peace and stability.”
It quotes Kerry as saying at a news conference, “The foreign minister (meaning Wang Yi) said the time has come to move away from public tensions and turn the page and we agree with that …”
Reuters says that before that “(i)n an address to foreign ministers, including Kerry, at the gathering in Vientiane, Wang criticized the United States, Japan and Australia for a joint statement on the issue they released late on Monday.”
It quotes Wang as saying, “The statement continued to hype up the South China Sea issue and play up tensions. Now is the time we will test whether you are protectors of peace or agitators.”
Kerry has passed the test satisfactorily as he backs the resumption of the talks between China and the Philippines, which was rejected by the Philippines when it preferred to resolve its disputes with China through arbitration with US support.
In spite of US joint statement with Japan and Australia requesting China to respect the arbitration ruling, Kerry now agrees to back talks that he has refused to back and will go to Manila to urge the Philippines to conduct talks with China.
The lack of support from the US seems to have upset the Philippines so that “Philippines Foreign Minister Perfecto Yasay told reporters in Vientiane that the dispute was not between China and the United States but between China and the Philippines.”
Reuters quote Yasay as telling reporters, “We would like to pursue bilateral relationships in so far as the peaceful resolution of the dispute is concerned that is between the China and the Philippines. The others are not concerned with that dispute”.
Before being elected, Duterte as a president candidate said he would have the US join Philippines’ talks with China. Seeing that it can get no support from the US, now the Philippines want bilateral talks that exclude the US.
It is too late for the Philippines to realize that the US will not fight for its interests. In the Scarborough standoff between the Philippines and China, the US gave the Philippines no military support though it is Philippines’ ally. Instead, it told the Philippines to withdraw. As a result, China has got full control of Scarborough Shoal and the area around it. The Philippines should have learnt a lesson from that, but obviously it had not and made the stupid attempt to resolve the dispute by arbitration.
That makes me believe that Philippines’ preceding president Aquino is stupid. He began the provocation in Scarborough Shoal in order to pit the US against China so that the US will help the Philippines win in its dispute with China. Now, he has to face the dire fact that the US will not fight for the Philippines. Moreover, some people want to prosecute him for withdrawing from the shoal to give China full control of the shoal.
Comment by Chan Kai Yee on Reuters’ report, full text of which can be viewed at http://www.reuters.com/article/us-southchinasea-ruling-china-idUSKCN10604M