China billionaire’s disappearance from Hong Kong revives autonomy concerns


A statement of Chinese billionaire Xiao Jianhua is printed on the front page of local newspaper Ming Pao in Hong Kong, China February 1, 2017. REUTERS/Bobby Yip

A statement of Chinese billionaire Xiao Jianhua is printed on the front page of local newspaper Ming Pao in Hong Kong, China February 1, 2017. REUTERS/Bobby Yip

By Venus Wu and James Pomfret | HONG KONG Thu Feb 2, 2017 | 9:05am EST

The uncertain fate of Xiao Jianhua, a China-born billionaire who was last seen at a luxury Hong Kong hotel a week ago, has raised fresh fears about the city’s autonomy amid media reports he may have been abducted by Chinese agents.

There are conflicting accounts of Xiao’s whereabouts, but memories are fresh in Hong Kong of the abduction last year of five staff who worked for a local bookseller that published gossip on China’s leaders.

Three of the staff were detained while in China, but two with foreign passports were taken there against their will from Thailand and Hong Kong.

Those disappearances provoked outrage that Beijing was flouting Hong Kong’s constitution, which gives Chinese authorities no right to conduct law enforcement activities in the city, a largely self-governing territory since its return to China from British rule in 1997.

A Hong Kong government source said key details on Xiao’s case still needed to be clarified, but the initial signs were “worrying”.

“All we can do is investigate this. It puts the government in more of an awkward position,” said the source, whose work includes security matters.

The Financial Times reported that Xiao, who runs Tomorrow Holdings, a financial group headquartered in Beijing, was abducted from the Four Seasons hotel by Chinese public security agents and taken to the mainland.

Xiao, who has close ties to senior Chinese officials and their relatives, was ranked 32nd on the 2016 Hurun China rich list, China’s equivalent of the Forbes list, with a net worth of $5.97 billion.

Calls to Xiao’s company in Beijing went unanswered, but a full front-page advertisement published in Hong Kong’s Ming Pao newspaper on Wednesday under Xiao’s name said he was seeking medical treatment “outside the country” and had not been abducted.

The ad also burnished Xiao’s patriotic credentials.

“I’ve always loved the (Chinese Communist) Party, the country, and have never done anything to harm the country’s interests,” Xiao wrote.

The Hong Kong police said in a statement to Reuters that Xiao had entered mainland China through a border checkpoint on Jan. 27 and that they were seeking more information on the case from Chinese authorities.

A police source briefed on the investigation said the case was initially treated as a “kidnapping” following a complaint from someone connected to Xiao, but after a review of CCTV footage at the Four Seasons and at the border checkpoint, police concluded that Xiao had voluntarily left Hong Kong.

Calls to the Ministry of Public Security in Beijing went unanswered with China in the middle of the week-long Lunar New Year holiday.

China’s Foreign Ministry also did not respond to a request for comment.

China has previously insisted that it respects Hong Kong’s autonomy and rule of law under the “one country, two systems” formula.

Many Hong Kong residents, however, resent Beijing’s influence in the city, which erupted in nearly three months of street demonstrations in late 2014 protesting against China’s failure to allow full democracy.

Xiao claimed in the newspaper ad to be a Canadian passport holder. Canadian authorities have not yet confirmed this but say they’re aware of the case and looking into it.

The Four Seasons hotel and its serviced apartments are popular with mainland Chinese business executives.

One source who frequents the hotel told Reuters that Xiao had been a long-term guest for several years, and was often seen there with an entourage of eight to nine people, including bodyguards and assistants.

“He’s very low key, but with such a big group of people it’s hard not to notice him,” said the source, who declined to be named.

(Writing by James Pomfret; Editing by Will Waterman)

Source: Reuters “China billionaire’s disappearance from Hong Kong revives autonomy concerns”

Note: This is Reuters report I post here for readers’ information. It does not mean that I agree or disagree with the report’ views.

Advertisements

5 Comments on “China billionaire’s disappearance from Hong Kong revives autonomy concerns”

  1. Simon says:

    Law breakers in Mainland China exploit HK autonomy status as a means to escape punishment or otherwise draw Western media attention. What western media and some HK media fail to understand is it is completely lawful for Mainland China to arrest people in HK if they are a threat to national security and Mainland authorities does not need to answer to HK authority. Autonomy status or “One Country Two System” formula initiated by China for HK is not actually new because since 1949 in many parts of China such as Tibet, Mongolia and many other areas there are autonomous regions for people of other ethinicity which has their own rules and customs and its people are not subject to the one child or two child policy. If HK gets out of control Mainland soldiers will step in to retain law and order, just like what happened in Tibet and Xinjiang.

    Like

    • Simon says:

      I meant “Inner Mongollia”.

      Like

    • simon says:

      Cia operation in HK is also illegal and contrary to One country, two system. Basic law dont allow CIA to exercise law enforcement in HK.

      Likewise, Cia and Mainland agent operated covertly in HK. There are no violation of law and one country, two system.

      Western mouthpiece dont spread fear about CIA meddling /inteference with HK autonomy. HK student protester, Joshua Wong get Western made documentary about his achievement.

      Like

      • Joseph says:

        Does that Joshua Wong documentary feature his mom and many other HK moms came down to the streets to pinch their children ears back home. It was after all, HK moms who ended the HK umbrella protest, not HK police or China’s Communist Party. And it is a world first that mom is more powerful than the CIA.

        Like

    • DF-21 says:

      The evil corrupt Chinese government strikes again

      Like


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s