China party mouthpiece says no Internet freedom without order, as US TV shows pulled


The company logo of Sina Corp is seen atop their headquarters in Beijing, April 17, 2014.  Credit: Reuters/China Daily

The company logo of Sina Corp is seen atop their headquarters in Beijing, April 17, 2014.
Credit: Reuters/China Daily

There can be no Internet freedom without order, China’s top Communist Party newspaper said on Monday after several U.S. television shows were pulled from Chinese video sites, the latest signs of Beijing’s tightening grip on online content.

The removal of the shows coincides with a broad crackdown on online freedom of expression that has intensified since President Xi Jinping came to power last year and drawn criticism from rights advocates at home and abroad.

Authorities last week also stepped up their battle against pornography, revoking some online publication licenses of one of China’s largest Internet firms, Sina Corp, for allowing “lewd and pornographic” content.

“While ordinary people and governments have enjoyed the conveniences brought by the Internet, they have also in turn experienced the Internet’s negative effects and hidden security dangers,” the People’s Daily, the party’s main mouthpiece, said in a commentary.

It was published under the pen name “Zhong Sheng”, meaning “Voice of China”, often used to give views on foreign policy.

“If you don’t have Internet order, how can you have Internet freedom? Anyone enjoying and exercising their Internet rights and freedoms must not harm the public interest and cannot violate laws and regulations and public ethics,” the paper said.

Four U.S. television shows, The Big Bang Theory, The Practice, The Good Wife and NCIS, were ordered removed from video websites at the weekend by the government, the official Xinhua news agency said.

The series are all popular and it was not clear why these particular programs had been singled out.

Searches on Youku Tudou, Sohu and Tencent, which provide the shows, produced messages that the content was temporarily unavailable.

“I believe it’s a standalone event and it doesn’t represent a policy change toward American TV shows,” Sohu CEO Charles Zhang told a conference call with reporters.

The directive, he said, gave no explanation for the take-down notice and he declined to comment further. Youku Tudou and Tencent declined comment on the order.

Earlier on Monday, state broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) told Reuters it had acquired the exclusive broadcasting rights for The Big Bang Theory, but did not specify whether or not the license was only for TV.

TIGHTER REGULATIONS

The removal of the shows followed a directive from the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SARFT) last month that tightened the process for broadcasting television programs and short films online.

Programs and films lacking licenses are not permitted to be shown online, according to the SARFT directive. Penalties include a warning and a fine and, in serious cases, a five-year ban on operations and investment in online programming.

But there are no specific regulations governing overseas TV programs licensed by Chinese websites, said one person who works at an online video site, adding that regulation was expected at some point but with a minor impact on the industry.

Nonetheless, the lack of clarity from both the government and the companies involved raises questions about whether foreign programs will be subject to greater scrutiny.

China’s online video market was worth 12.8 billion yuan ($2.05 billion) in 2013, according to Chinese data firm iResearch. Market value is expected to almost triple by 2017.

SARFT has been in discussions with online video sites about greater control of their content since 2009, according to people familiar with the matter.

China maintains tight control over the media. Censorship is widespread, and Internet users cannot access information about many topics without special software to circumvent restrictions.

Online video sites are extremely popular and can act as a lodestone for comment on social issues.

The Communist Party last year renewed a campaign on online interaction, threatening legal action against people whose perceived rumors on microblogs like Sina Weibo, are reposted more than 500 times or seen by more than 5,000 people.

The campaign has muted online demands from advocates of transparency, who see it as a tool to punish Party critics.

($1 = 6.2536 Chinese yuan)

Source: Reuters “China party mouthpiece says no Internet freedom without order, as US TV shows pulled”

Related posts:

  • Man confesses in first public trial in China’s rumor crackdown: Xinhua dated April 11, 2014
  • How rumor sparked panic and three-day bank run in Chinese city dated March 26, 2014
  • China holds two bloggers as it expands crackdown on rumors dated October 18, 2013
  • China experimenting with more ‘subtle’ Internet censorship dated June 2, 2013

Man confesses in first public trial in China’s rumor crackdown: Xinhua


A popular internet microblogger confessed in court to spreading rumors about the Chinese government, the official Xinhua news agency reported on Friday, in the first public trial since China began cracking down on online rumors last year.

Rights advocates say China’s campaign to quash online rumors, which began last summer, is tantamount to crushing free expression. The government says the crackdown is necessary to preserve social stability.

Online rumors are particularly pervasive in China, where traditional media is heavily regulated by the government and public trust in the media is low.

Qin Zhihui invented a story that the Chinese government gave 200 million yuan ($32.5 million) in compensation to the family of a foreign passenger killed in a high-speed train crash in 2011, Xinhua said.

He posted the rumor on Weibo, China’s Twitter-like microblog, and the story was shared widely by other microblog users, Xinhua said.

According to the Xinhua report, Qin also told false stories about a popular television starlet and other celebrities.

No comment was available from Qin and Xinhua gave no indication of any defense he raised in court. The trial is continuing, Xinhua said.

The ruling Communist Party’s campaign to control online discourse threatens criminal penalties against those who spread rumors on microblogs that are reposted more than 500 times or seen by more than 5,000 users.

Source: Reuters “Man confesses in first public trial in China’s rumor crackdown: Xinhua”

China, rumor crackdown, freedom of expression, Qin Zhihui, online rumor

Related posts:

How rumor sparked panic and three-day bank run in Chinese city dated March 26, 2014

China holds two bloggers as it expands crackdown on rumors dated October 18, 2013

China: Candles sold out in Sichuan due to doomsday rumor dated December 7, 2012